I got a few painful sores between my toes before I did as she said. There is no scientific or biological evidence of either of those theories. They referred to this time as diēs caniculārēs, or “dog days.”. Buffelgrass emergence and growth has also helped in southern parts of the state. Pastures were drying out, and grass fires were a growing concern. For those of us lucky enough to have a retriever friend in the field, it’s important to prepare ahead of time and keep a few important aspects in mind as we move towards our favorite time of year. Dryland sorghum was burning up due to moisture stress. Obedience takes time and practice. Named for the days that Sirius, the Dog Star, was believed to be responsible for the hot summer weather, pets and owners alike came to have a doggone good time! But there’s no reason to stop birding. The highlight of the event was the much-anticipated agility competition, where the crowd cheered on the dogs as they attempted the teeter-totter, weave poles, and high jump. Always keep your program balanced to maintain a good attitude and eagerness in your dog. Northern parts of the district reported short topsoil and subsoil moisture. The singing has started back today! Dog day’s in the south was when you had to watch out for snakes because they are shedding their skins and their eyes would have a bluish color to them due to shedding and couldn’t see or sense as well and would strike at you faster than usual . Moving animals to another location where flies don’t reproduce and congregate or cleaning up areas may be the only option to reduce populations of flies and stress and injury to livestock. Central areas reported short topsoil and very short subsoil moisture levels. Your dog doesn’t have to be a field champion to Dove hunt, but all retrievers need a solid basic program before going to the field. A young dog in its first season takes more patience and guidance. A great gift for the weather enthusiast! You should have surgery any time your doctor recommends. I see you just heard them too. Submitted by The Editors on July 8, 2019 - 10:36am. When Sirius rises above the Sun at an altitude of 7 degrees it can be seen. I do know this: Fish are cold-blooded creatures that must eat to survive. by Texas Dove Hunters Magazine | Mar 17, 2016 | 2016 Spring, Hunting. 812 South Church StreetParis  Texas  75460. Fish put on most of their weight during this time.Anglers have good success during those “dog days”. Tomatoes and sweet corn were ready in gardens. I heard it said that during dog days the fish doesn’t bite because something tenders their mouth and makes it difficult for them to eat food…. Producers were watching for armyworms. If time is critical, they can be of great service. East and Central Texas typically see forage quality drop by mid-July as temperatures become consistently warmer. We prefer a 30:20 ratio, 30% protein to 20% crude fat. Cattle conditions continued to improve on abundant grasses. BACK TO BASICS I have heard of the term “New Dog Days” any thing to this? Drink This! Roosters and chickens can get heat stress, some signs being panting, lethargy, loss of appetite, holding their wings out. Hunters should take advantage of the winter season. The exact dates of the Dog Days can vary from source to source, and because they are traditionally tied to the dawn rising of Sirius, they have changed over time. The event is typically held on the first weekend in October and is FREE to the public. Unlike the Egyptians, the ancient Greeks and Romans were not as pleased by Sirius’s appearance. If your dog is older and trained, remember that off season workouts will keep them in shape and healthy. Duval County reported 1-1.5 inches of rain.